Taste and see …

Apple butter November 22, 2010

Filed under: Canning — F. Penner @ 9:24 PM
Tags: ,

I actually made apple butter several months ago, I think at the end of September? and had started a post about it, but then got distracted by the rest of my life… and I wasn’t going to keep it, but I finally uploaded the pictures I had taken of the disaster area that was my kitchen after I made the butter, and decided that maybe I should do it anyway.  I went apple picking with a couple of friends at the same orchard I had gone for peaches earlier in the summer.  This time I limited myself to enough apples for one batch of butter and a pie or two, though :).  I wanted to try apple jelly also, but I think that’ll have to wait until next year.  Or maybe this winter when I’ve lots of free time…  At any rate, I got a recipe for apple butter from my sister-in-law, and then because it said it only yielded 3 cups, I decided I wanted to double it so it would be more worth the effort.  I think I ended up with about 9 cups when it was all finished – I tripled the recipe without even meaning to, apparently!  I also cut the amount of cloves and allspice a little bit – if I remember correctly, I think I halved the amount for both, but left the amount of cinnamon the same.

Apple butter

2 quarts apple pieces, peeled (8 cups)
1 quart apple cider (4 cups)
3 cups sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp allspice

Cook apples and cider until they are tender.  Press through a sieve or food mill (I just used my blender…).  Add sugar and spices and return mixture to the pot.  Cook until thick (this took 1 1/2 to 2 hours for a double recipe, I think).  Yields 3 cups.  I also used the boiling water method to seal my jars (another reason I wanted to double it – who wants to boil lots of water for 3 jam jars worth??)

The aftermath of my apple butter:

I wanted to make sure that I got this fruit butter to the right consistency (unlike my peach butter, which could have cooked for a bit longer…) so I think I ladled some of it into the jars, decided it wasn’t thick enough, poured it back into the pot, cooked it down some more, ladled some out, decided that it still wasn’t thick enough, poured it back in, cooked it down some more, and decided that whether or not it was the right consistency, I wasn’t going to pour it from the jars back into the pot a third time.  And it turned out pretty thick… possibly a little too thick, but it tastes good, and hopefully next year I’ll be able to make fruit butters that are just the right thickness, since I’ve made too thin and too thick 🙂